Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Contemplating Life?!

I have always been one to think about the meaning of life.  Why are we here?  What is my purpose? What am I SUPPOSE to be doing?  Is this all there is?  

Since I was in college (over 10 years ago) - I have wondered these things.  Questioned these thoughts - prayed about them - talked to others about them - read books - listened to music looking for a sign of some sort - a voice.  The only voice as you all know if you have read my blog is the "shower" voice I heard a couple of months ago.  Other than that nothing - it seems that the answer is within myself somewhere.  Somewhere deep in there.

I was a teacher for 5 or so years. Then in the beauty industry for about 6 and now in real estate.  Well none of those really answered those questions.  They are all just jobs to me.  No real change except learning how to make a living and trying to be successful.  

So I keep searching - asking my questions in my head.  

I am so envious of those people out there that LOVE their jobs.  Enjoy the day to day.  Feel passion towards their employment.  How wonderful that would be.  I have of course had days here and there that have been fulfilling. Helping a student learn to read their first book, helping someone buy there first home, teaching someone how to take care of sun spots or deal with acne.  But I always come back to my questions....

What more can I do?  How can I make a difference?  

I am very lucky and very blessed with my life.  I am healthy, have an awesome husband and marriage, my parents are both alive and well.

I have tried in the past few months to be better with the environment.  I only use a water bottle that I can wash in the dishwasher instead of going through huge styrofoam cups or regular bottles.  I am now using organic household cleaners. I have been taking unused home goods and old clothes to Goodwill instead of just pitching them in the trash.  I am waaayyy cautious of turning off unused lights in my house and trying to conserve water as well - not only for bill purposes but trying to help do my small part.  

So for me I will continue on my search to peacefulness...and remind myself that I am one of the very lucky ones here!!


5 comments:

Nicholas said...

Oh do I know how you feel! Once your process gets pretty well in perhaps things will get more clear for you... I'm just coming out of my Ethiopian fog and it's started that whole feeling back up again. The problem isn't so much what I want to do, but how to do it.

Thanks for commenting and following us to our Tessa ~ I'll be sure to add you to my blogroll!

Sometimes all we can do is pray - and I for one know that I need to attend mass WAY more.

Trendy Mindy said...

Mass - Lori you are soooo right!!

Thanks for reading!! Mindy

Kristi J said...

You will feel a completeness and happiness you have never experienced when you feel the love for a "child" for the first time. You are no longer focused on what you need, rather what this little person in your life needs. God gives us these little people to remind us just how great He is and to show us a love so great and so deep that nothing else could ever compare...I loved my job as a teacher, I also love my extended family and hubby, but the love for my children (bio and adopted) is something I could never describe....Whether you adopt or decide to have children biologically, your life will forever be changed and fullfilled!!! Jobs and fashion just can't fullfill someone for life...The answer lies in your relationship with God and your children he wants you to have...I'll quit now...I'm just so happy that God has put this stirring on your heart...There is a reason for it (: Kristi

Chantelle said...

Hey Girl
I hear you! I am sorry we have nto been able to talk. I am going to call you today when Bianca takes her nap. We had to go out of town unexpectedly, but are back.
I think, (and hope) most of us deal with the same questions about life.
And I do agree with the comments posted. Life takes a major tunr once you have children. You will be such an awesome mom. We are similar in many ways. I was not sure for so many years that I even wanted to be a mom and now I cannot imagine life ANY other way.
I can't wait to hear what all is going on with you guys.
I am looking for your post with the SOLD sign on it. Hoping your house and business sell ASAP so you can move on to this baby girl!
Chat soon
Chantelle

Emmy said...

Just stumbled onto your blog through another blog. I have been where you are. I sincerly believe it's God you are looking for. We can never really feel fulfilled until we have found God. The jobs we hold don't define who we are. We can make a difference within any job that we hold and also in our spare time by volunteering etc. It's about living our lives for God and letting his work be done through us. Try reading "Purpose Driven Life" or "The Life You've Always Wanted". Good Luck to you!!