Thursday, August 14, 2008

And now for the rest of our story....and the other AHA moment!!!

I sit here watching this cursor flash back at me.....could this be silent Thursday for me? Or it is bc I slept about 3 hours thinking on my real estate closing?

Maybe I am mentally preparing myself for sleepless nights and late night feedings?
Keeping in mind that absolutely NONE of my family or friends (except for Apes) knows of any of this adoption....wow what a tough secret to keep. So I really only talk to Brad about this.

I made an appointment with our priest the sweetest most holiest man that I know - that also married Brad and I - Father Mike. I thought that perhaps he could give us some insight and possible calm a few my fears. More than fears..let's call them terrors!!

Brad and I met there at the church. Brad has never been one to really open up - I mean #1 he's a guy and #2 he just doesn't.

But when we stepped foot into Father Mike's office - Brad just started chatting up a storm. I sat back quietly listening to him. He was telling him that he had always heard that this is how it happens(the whole motherhood thing)....just one day you wake up and boom you are ready. He continued telling him that it was not the Ethiopian part - really just the parenting part that made him nervous. How we have both been so into completing ourselves and being our selfish selves for SOOOO long that he worried about this.

How we have such a strong marriage that he does not want to ruin that. How his friends that have kids complain a lot - how it changes marriage even good ones.

Just to hear him say that we have a good marriage is awesome - again he really does not talk about this sort of stuff. I know we are tight and have an awesome marriage but man it is a comforting feeling to hear that from the man you adore!!

So Father Mike began by telling us that it makes him incredible happy to know how well we are doing. He did our pre-marital counseling and those were some LONG days!!

He told us that it is such a generous gift that we are offering a child and that he thinks we would be great parents. Imagining with us the child at age 25 sitting next to us hearing this story - our story. OK that is powerful!! He also told us that it would change our marriage and that we would experience a different kind of love for each other and for the child.

I of course started to cry...telling him the "shower story" asking him if it was really GOD telling me this. He assured me that God speaks to people in many different ways and this was my way. I told him that this had never happened before. Bawling and sniffing....Brad then said - when she told me this story Father Mike - "well you just don't really question something like this"....and Father Mike said- Brad you are right - you just don't.

YEAH!!!!! The moment I had been waiting for - the AHA for my hubs!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

And so that was it - Brad knew now in his heart as well that this was not going away - not a phase that I was going through - that this was a journey that we were going to take together.

So funny - Father Mike asked about the timeline for Ethiopian and when we would really be getting our baby....Brad goes - man that makes me nervous and get goosebumps!!

I assured them both that we had most likely over a year - so plenty of time to prepare:)!!

3 comments:

Erica said...

How exciting! I look forward to following your journey!

Trendy Mindy said...

Thank you Erica! So wild that I have a blog and people are finding it - I love it!! I have not given it out to one person but it is out there YEAH!!

Jennifer said...

I just have to type. I'm researching Ethiopia adoptions right now and found your blog. I'm only to this page so far, but I've had to wipe my tears away THREE times now just to keep reading! I can't wait to read the rest.

I'm so glad I found it! And you know what? I love your courage in just throwing out the God piece. So far our story is very similar- I wasn't really interested in having children until one day, a fluke thought went through my head, and I asked God a similar question, and HE SPOKE TO ME! It still brings tears to my eyes. In my blog, I played it down significantly though 'cause I was afraid of the homestudy people thinking I was looney and not "passing" me. (Grin)

Sorry this is so long! I'm going to go back to reading now!

Jennifer
Mama to one Kazakhstan kiddo and looking at Ethiopia for #2
www.ConvergentPaths.com