Friday, October 10, 2008

I TOLD MY FAMILY!!!

Well - yesterday I told my mother!!  

I had just received an email from a friend of mine with photos of her new niece and nephew that are currently being adopted (domestic) and are black - they are sooooo adorable!!!. So I called my mom to ask about her about it being that I did not know.  Somewhere in that conversation I got the courage to tell her.

I said - mom I have some news to tell you...."we are adopting a baby"!!  She got excited and starting saying "oh that is wonderful"....so I just went with that and kept talking.

Me - "And the baby is going to be from Africa - Ethiopia to be exact"....
Mom - "Ok ok ok..." in an excited sort of shocked voice....

I just kept going afraid to leave a quiet moment or to take a breathe...."we will go to Africa to get her...she will be an infant....around 3-12 months old...most likely 6 or so months...I have researched this for months....B and I are sooo excited....this is the biggest secret that I have ever kept...it will take about 15 months..."

Questions from her then started - I was prepared...."no China takes X amount of time, Mexico....well I really have not heard of children being adopted from there??....Guatemala is not currently open...no I really never thought of domestic...it really was never anything we considered....no I have not told my brother...."

She sounded happy -  said she would love the child with any skin color even "purple"...

GREAT - wow this went better than expected!!

I was on a roll - I called my brother a few hours later and told him as well!!  

At first he  said - "yeah right - you are kidding...." but then he realized I was serious ...and he too seemed happy for us.  Saying "congrats" - "you know your niece has a little boy on her soccer team that is from Africa"....excellent!!  

I then received a call from my mom - I think it had sort of sunk in at this point...some of the race questions came up..."the concern" for B and I...."I want you to be really sure"...."people are prejudice"...."I am going to be really honest with you through out this process"....

My explanation (channeling Liz and Chantelle)....

"Yes, we are sure"
"We are not asking for permission - just your support and blessing"
" I understand your concern - take the time you need..."
"While I appreciate your honesty....think before you say something that could effect the future...."

I then talked to my dad - he really only asked why we didn't want to have any "children of our own" -  I said " at this point in my life this is what we are doing and what I am suppose to do" ...he asked how long it takes....I told him about 15 months (hopefully shorter)....he said well he has some time to get used to it and maybe we can sit down and I can tell him my thoughts...."great I would love to"....

SO - in summary - it went OK??!?!?!?!  Not as bad as I thought but not as well as I would have wanted....but it is done.....deep breathe!!  The weight has been lifted!!  


5 comments:

Nicholas said...

Good for you, they'll come around, I promise you!

megan said...

I think people close to you are always a little shocked. At least it was that way with my family now they are almost as excited as I am.
Congrats on putting it out there!!!

Chantelle said...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Too to to to AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I am so so happy for you guys!
I have been meaning to call you and life has been nuts.
We had to redo a few things for our dossier...One item I have done 3 times and just found out that I will have to do it again!
You should just talk to the ladies at IAN. The wait list is short...really short and they are great...Just an idea.
Wahoo! You are free to really think about this now!
Good for you!
Chantelle

JSK said...

You know the natural progression of things...You -> Your Mother -> My Mother -> Me.

The initial shock fades into reality, which brings with it joy and excitement. You can later laugh at the shock that was once felt. I have experience in this area...

You are involving yourselves in a completely selfless act...one of profound love and compassion. Adopting this child will bring the world one child closer to peace and allow you to experience a love like non other.

Congratulations!!!!

Jen K

Kristi J said...

Wow..i have chills...now that it is behind you, you can sit back and enjoy the journey ahead of you. I'm #19 on the list and couldn't be happier to be moving up the numbers....I'll be following your journey and your family will love this child more than life itself, kristi